Thursday, March 3, 2011

House Top Quilt "inspired" from Gee's Bend Quilt


This quilt was "inspired" from a quilt from the Gee's Bend collection. The inspired is in quotations because it is a copy. My husband complains that I never make a quilt for the house so I asked him to choose one from the Gee's Bend book for me to me to use as inspiration. He chose this one, and I was pleased that he chose such a simple pattern (they call it a house top pattern). The quilt in the book, though simple, is beautiful, and I was dissapointed by mine, which is plain in comparison. The Gee's Bend quilt is made out of corduroy at a time when it was plentiful to the ladies and it has some very interesting half circle quilting on it. Mine is not quilted yet, however, so maybe that will add some depth to it. The lesson: don't copy a quilt, each one is unique in and of it's self and reflects the maker and the context.

No comments: