Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quilts with African fabric

This winter, I was driven to make quilts out of African fabrics. I really wanted to re-invision traditional patterns. I had a lot of African fabric laying around from my dancing days (sigh). I was fascinated to see how my old stand-bys like the eight pointed star, chinese coins, and flying geese would look. The results have been mixed, I'm still experimenting.

Eight Pointed Star Quilt with African Fabric
African Chinese Coins Quilt with Indigo

Flying Geese Quilt with African Fabric

Log Cabin Quilt with African Fabric
One Square Quilt with African Fabric




3 comments:

rebecca said...

Gorgeous! When you need more African fabric check out www.AnanseVillage.com. Keep quilting!

Kim Possible said...

BILLYE!!! OMG, these quilts are fantastic. So fantastic. I just spent a half hour reading through your blog instead of making a vocabulary quiz. I've always, always, always wanted to learn how to quilt. Will you start a Black woman's sewing circle??? Beautiful work!

billyetoussaint said...

Hey Kim,
Thank you, thank you. There actually already is a Black woman's quilting group in the area called, Sister's in Stitches. They meet on the Third Saturday of the month at 1pm in Holbrook. If you want to go together let me know.