Monday, May 21, 2012

Braiding and Quilting

 I just taught myself to cornrow. I'm very proud of myself. It's a very belated right of passage. I've wanted to learn forever. I grew up in a family with all boys and I never learned. I felt like I missed my window of opportunity. But as a teacher I have to believe that anyone can learn anything (right?). So I bought a (very scary) mannequin head and watched some youtube videos (neither of these worked by the way). Why am I posting this on a quilt blog you may be asking yourself. Braiding reminds me a lot of quilting because they are both repetitive in nature and sometimes it's more important to maintain a pattern than to necessarily be precise. And they are also both labors of love. I've began envisioning a quilt with a cornrow pattern...





No comments: